E. & W. Bennett
Back to search results
Edward and William Bennett, brothers who emigrated from England in 1841, were part of a large family of potters who worked together in New Jersey and Ohio before they opened their own Baltimore factory in 1848. They retained Charles Coxon, an Englishman from Staffordshire, who worked as the firm’s principal modeler from 1850 until 1858. Prior to William's departure in 1856, the firm used this mark (see Marks) and produced a variety of pottery, including earthenware and stoneware. While it has been suggested that this pattern is properly called “The Good Samaritan,” the design was described as “Gipsey” when it was first published by Staffordshire potters Jones and Walley in 1841, no doubt because of the figures in front of a tent and around a fire. It is likely that Coxon is responsible for introducing this relatively new English design to the Bennett pottery.
MARKS: E. & W. BENNETT / CANTON AVENUE / BALTIMORE MD. (impressed on underside); Barber 1976, p. 143.
DESCRIPTION: Molded body including handle. Decorated with scenes of women in front of a tent on one side, around a fire on the other. Leaves around top of pitcher with scroll decor around lip of spout. Indented foot tree roots. Dark and light brown glaze covers entire piece, including inside and bottom.
RELATED EXAMPLES: For Parian examples of the pattern from Bennington and the English factory of Jones and Walley, see Barret 1958, p. 47, pls. 60, 61; for a stoneware example made by Edward Walley’s Villa Pottery after 1845, see Mudge et al. 1985, p. 45.
1. Coxon left the Bennett pottery in 1858 to run the Swan Hill Pottery in South Amboy, New Jersey (Goldberg 1994, p. 43). Coxon was the modeler who introduced the oft reproduced "Rebekah at die Well" (see B.57.22). See also Myers 1987: Myers, Susan H. “Edwin Bennett: An English Potter in Baltimore.” Ars Ceramica et Artes Glaesum. No. 4. Wedgewood Society of New York, 1987: 31-35.
2. Barret 1958, p. 47 (Barret, Richard Carter. Bennington Pottery and Porcelain: A Guide to Identification. New York: Bonanza Books, 1958.), calls it "The Good Samaritan”; however, Mudge et al. 1985 cites the published Jones and Walley pattern as “Gipsey" (p. 45). See also Goldberg 1994, p. 40, fig. 11, and p. 57, no. 12. (Goldberg, David J. “Charles Coxon: Nineteenth-Century Potter, Modeler-Designer, and Manufacturer.” American Ceramic Circle Journal 9. Washington, D.C.: American Ceramic Circle, 1994: 28-64.)
Book excerpt: Warren, David B., Michael K. Brown, Elizabeth Ann Coleman, and Emily Ballew Neff. American Decorative Arts and Paintings in the Bayou Bend Collection. Houston: Princeton Univ. Press, 1998.
Cataloguing data may change with further research.
If you have questions about this work of art or the MFAH Online Collection please contact us.
E. & W. Bennett, American, active 1848–1856
Charles Coxon, American, 1805–1868
- Rockingham-glazed earthenware
- 8 1/2 × 5 1/4 × 7 3/4 in. (21.6 × 13.3 × 19.7 cm)
- Credit Line
The Bayou Bend Collection, gift of Miss Ima Hogg
- Current Location
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens
CERAMICS STUDY ROOM
- Accession Number
Acquired by Miss Ima Hogg on February 27, 1963, from George Abraham & Gilbert May Antiques, West Granville, MA