From 2015 to 2019, the campus of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, transforms with a new master plan: two new buildings, designed by Steven Holl Architects; a new conservation center, designed by Lake|Flato Architects; and a landscape plan that knits together a century's worth of signature architectural structures.
Questions about the campus redevelopment? Contact us at email@example.com or 713.830.5280.
Support the Capital Campaign
Interested in learning more about the capital campaign, including how to give? Contact Caroline Brantley Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713.639.7874.
Susan and Fayez S. Sarofim Campus
Encompassing 14 acres in the heart of Houston’s Museum District, the MFAH campus-redevelopment project is a major contribution to the city’s efforts to improve the pedestrian experience of Houston. With an array of public plazas, reflecting pools, and gardens, as well as improved sidewalks, street lighting, and way-finding, the Susan and Fayez S. Sarofim Campus provides an active setting for three significant new structures:
• An 80,000-square-foot home for the Glassell School of Art
• A 164,000-square-foot-building for 20th- and 21st-century art: The Nancy and Rich Kinder Building
• A state-of-the-art conservation center: The Sarah Campbell Blaffer Foundation Center for Conservation
Additional key elements
• Two underground parking garages
• Two new, dedicated tunnels between the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building to the Caroline Wiess Law Building, and the Glassell School of Art to the Kinder Building
The Nancy and Rich Kinder Building
Designed by Steven Holl Architects
Construction takes place 2017–2019
The largely translucent and transparent Nancy and Rich Kinder Building, dedicated to art after 1900, will stand in complementary contrast to the Ludwig Mies van der Rohe-designed Caroline Wiess Law Building (1958/74) and stone façade of Rafael Moneo’s Audrey Jones Beck Building (2000). The exhibition building will lead to the Isamu Noguchi–designed Lillie and Hugh Roy Cullen Sculpture Garden and across Bissonnet from the Law Building.
Highlights of the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building
• Punctuated by seven vertical gardens with reflecting pools at ground level
• Gathered under a “luminous canopy” roof, its concave curves in deliberate reference to the billowing clouds that fill the “big sky” of Texas
• Two floors and 54,000 square feet of galleries circling a three-level atrium space, with the distinctive roof allowing natural light to flood the central spaces
• Addition of the 202-seat Lynn and Oscar Wyatt Theater, a restaurant, a café, and meeting rooms
The Glassell School of Art & The Brown Foundation, Inc. Plaza
Designed by Steven Holl Architects
Construction takes place 2015–2017
► Learn more about the Studio School's move to a temporary facility on Holcombe Boulevard.
The new L-shaped building, constructed from a series of sandblasted, pre-cast concrete panels in a rhythm of verticals and slight angles.
Highlights of the New Glassell School of Art
• Fronts onto to the Brown Foundation, Inc. Plaza and provides ample outdoor space for programs and performances
• Natural light in every studio
• A street-level café for students and the public
• For the first time, all Glassell School of Art audiences are served under one roof, since the new building houses Junior School and Studio School students, as well as Core Program residents
• The BBVA Compass Roof Garden, a sloping, walkable green roof that rises from an outdoor amphitheater to a rooftop trellis offering dramatic views of the Sarofim campus
The Sarah Campbell Blaffer Foundation Center for Conservation
Designed by Lake|Flato Architects
Construction takes place 2016–2017
Anchoring the eastern perimeter of the MFAH campus, constructed on top of the existing parking garage, will be the Sarah Campbell Blaffer Foundation Center for Conservation—a glass rooftop structure that will house state-of-the art conservation labs and studios.
Highlights of the Sarah Campbell Blaffer Foundation Center for Conservation
• Passersby will be able to glimpse the activity inside from the sidewalk below
• Café installed on the ground level
• Brings the Museum's conservation team together under one roof and in close proximity to the Museum for the first time