In 1852 Leopoldo Alinari (1832–1865) set up a small photographic laboratory in Florence, and two years later his brothers Giuseppe (1836– 1890) and Romualdo (1830–1891) joined him in establishing Fratelli Alinari (Alinari Brothers), a photographic firm that continues to this day. From the start, their greatest renown came as photographers of Italy’s rich treasury of art and architecture, often catering to international visitors on the Grand Tour eager to collect images as aides-mémoires of their travels, or as a virtual substitute for those unable to make the trip in person.

As it is today, the cathedral complex at Pisa, built from the 11th to the 14th century, is admired for its beauty, coherence, and completeness—and, of course, for the famous lean of its bell tower. In addition to choosing a point of view that shows the tower’s dramatic tilt, the photographer picked a time of day when the light best revealed the delicate series of columns and arches. Many a photographer has stood at the same spot in the subsequent 160 years.


Cataloguing data may change with further research.

If you have questions about this work of art or the MFAH Online Collection please contact us.

Artist
Giuseppe Alinari, Italian, 1836–1890
Leopoldo Alinari, Italian, 1832–1865
Romualdo Alinari, Italian, 1830–1891
Title
The Cathedral and Campanile, Pisa
Date
c. 1855
Medium
Albumen print from glass negative
Dimensions
Image: 13 5/16 × 10 1/4 in. (33.8 × 26 cm) Sheet: 13 5/16 × 10 1/4 in. (33.8 × 26 cm) Mount: 25 5/16 × 19 5/16 in. (64.3 × 49.1 cm)
Credit Line

The Manfred Heiting Collection

Current Location
Not on view
Accession Number
2004.215
Classification
Photographs
Provenance

Christie's South Kensington, London, 11/1988. Bought by Manfred Heiting from Lunn Ltd. on 10/24/1986.