Back to search results
Development of so-called Littler’s blue ware, a salt-glazed stoneware with the addition of cobalt to the glaze, is credited to Aaron Wedgwood and William Littler (who were brothers-in-law), though other potters produced similar wares. They were noted for their hard, glossy surfaces and rich, deep-blue color.
Cataloguing data may change with further research.
If you have questions about this work of art or the MFAH Online Collection please contact us.
- c. 1750–1760
- White salt-glazed stoneware with cobalt (Littler’s blue)
- 2 3/4 × 8 × 4 1/2 in. (7 × 20.3 × 11.4 cm)
- Credit Line
The Bayou Bend Collection, museum purchase funded by the Carol Jean and Michael Moehlman Endowment Fund
- Current Location
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens
CERAMICS STUDY ROOM
- Accession Number
Vernon Roberts, England; [Sotheby & Co., London, Fine Old English Pottery and Porcelain, property Wallace Elliot, Valleywood Place, Chobham, Surrey, England, May 24, 1938, lot 93]; [D. M. P. & Manheim, London]; Harriet Carlton Goldweitz, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts (1922–2010), by 1984; consigned to [Sotheby's, New York, Important English Pottery: The Harriet Carlton Goldweitz Collection, January 20, 2006, sale NO8159, lot 121]; purchased by [Jonathan Horne, London]; [Sampson and Horne, London]; purchased by Mrs. Henry H. Weldon (June Weldon, 1922–2010), New York; by inheritance to anonymous heirs; consigned to [Leo Kaplan Ltd., New York]; purchased by MFAH, 2018.