Student Alumni Organization
The Student Alumni Organization (SAO) is a donor group created specifically for the students and alumni of the Glassell School of Art. For current and former students who are passionate about giving back to the Glassell School community, the SAO provides an opportunity not only to connect with other Glassell alumni, but also to contribute to the school’s mission. When you join the SAO, your gift allows the school to continue providing excellent instruction; to keep its tuition fees affordable; and to create an ever-growing community of artists.
Studio $75 (FMV $50)
• Eligibility for entry in the SAO Select Juried Exhibition
• An invitation to the preview party for the Annual Student Sale
Workshop $250 (FMV $125)
All of the benefits of Studio level, and
• An invitation to an exclusive Dean's Reception held at the private residence of a faculty member or donor
Exhibition $1,000 (FMV $150)
All of the benefits of Workshop level, and
• Recognition at the Annual Student Exhibition
• A complimentary copy of the annual Core publication
• One complimentary art history course at the Glassell School
• For those who wish to contribute $2,500 or more and receive benefits that reach throughout the Museum, the Leadership Circle offers exclusive access to the MFAH.
• Leadership Circle members who designate a portion or their entire gift to the Glassell School also receive SAO benefits at the level of their Glassell donation.
To become a member of the Glassell SAO, complete the online donation form and choose Glassell School of Art when making your gift. For more information, please call 713.639.7559.
Short-term installations, curated by Glassell Studio School department heads, showcase outstanding work by a selected number of students from each department.
These exhibitions are on view in the Interspace Gallery, located in the lobby area of the school's temporary home at 2450 Holcombe Boulevard.
Along the Printmaking Road
January 23–February 10, 2017
Study in Firing
February 20–March 10, 2017
March 20–April 7, 2017
Painting and Jewelry Installation
April 17–May 12, 2017
Annual Student Exhibtion
May 19–June 30, 2017
Kinder Morgan Exhibition Series
The Glassell School of Art is proud to present a series of exhibitions at the Kinder Morgan Building, located at 1001 Louisiana Street in downtown Houston. Learn more.
December 5, 2016–March 3, 2017
March 6–June 2, 2017
June 5–September 1, 2017
Studio School Lectures
In addition to the Core lecture series, the Glassell School of Art organizes two Studio School lecture series: the Naomi Turner True Lecture, which has featured artists such as John Alexander and Eric Fischl, and the Booker-Lowe Lecture, with past speakers that include Karyn Olivier and Albert Paley. These lectures are free, open to the public, and are usually paired with a small reception.
The Sixth Annual Naomi Turner True Lecture
“Untitled: The Limits and Camouflage of Language”
Friday, February 3, 2017, 6 p.m.
Presented by artists David Aylsworth and Gael Stack
The Ninth Annual Booker-Lowe Lecture
Friday, April 7, 2017, 6 p.m.
Presented by metalsmith Myra Mimlitsch-Gray
Annual Student Art Sale
The 2016 Student Art Sale took place on December 9 & 10.
The annual Studio School Student Art Sale, held in December, is an outlet for students to sell work created over the course of the school year to an eager and enthusiastic public.
Proceeds benefit students in two ways: 75% from the sale of each object goes back to the student, and 25% goes toward Glassell School scholarships.