MFAH Book Club Tours
MFAH Book Club Tours are on hold, so please check back for updates. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your interest!
Art and literature meet here! Designed for both established book clubs and individuals interested in creating connections between literary and visual arts, the MFAH Book Club links works of literature to works of art at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
The MFAH Book Club presents three selections per year. Each book:
- Is featured for a four-month period
- Culminates with a docent-led tour at the Museum, scheduled in advance > for those in book clubs
- Is featured on the MFAH Goodreads group. Follow along and add to the discussion! > for individuals
- Is accompanied by a downloadable discussion guide
► For more information, contact email@example.com
► Learn about the History Book Club, hosted by the two MFAH house museums.
Since the inception of the MFAH Book Club, the Museum has featured a wide range of fiction and nonfiction picks. Though tours are not offered for these past selections, discussion guides are available here.
How to Participate
Pick the approach that works best for you and your schedule.
Part of a book club or other group of six or more people? Here’s how to participate with your group!
1) Read the book. Most MFAH Book Club selections may be purchased at the MFA Shop, where Museum members receive a discount. Reading copies are also available in the Museum’s Kinder Foundation Education Center and at the Museum’s Hirsch Library.
2) Download the discussion guide to facilitate conversations connecting literary themes and works of art.
3) Request a docent-led tour by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org—a minimum of 3 weeks in advance—with the following information:
• The name of your group and number of participants
• The primary organizer’s name, telephone number, and email address
• The preferred date and time for your tour
4) Look for a confirmation email, within 5 business days, with information about when and where to meet the docent at the Museum.
Not already part of a book club? Here's how to partipate on your own!
1) Read the book at your own pace. MFAH Book Club selections are sometimes available as audiobooks via services such as Audible, or through apps that use your public library card for free audio, such as Overdrive.
2) Join the MFAH Goodreads discussion group. You can sign in with your Facebook account, or create your own Goodreads account.
3) Enhance your experience by visiting the Museum. Selected works of art related to the themes of the book are featured in the downloadable discussion guide.
Questions? Email email@example.com
What to Expect on an MFAH Book Club Tour
When tours resume, here is some helpful information.
• MFAH Book Club tours are free for MFAH members and free with general Museum admission for nonmembers.
• Tours last approximately 1½ hours.
• Campstools are provided for seating.
• Docents facilitate tours, selecting several works of art on display that they feel best connect with aspects of the featured book.
• Excerpts from the book are a vital component of these discussion-based tours, so you are encouraged to bring your copy of the book along.
• Expect lively discussion about the book and the art!