Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art March 10–June 27, 2019
The MFAH is the only venue for this major survey that brings together more than 50 masterworks by one of the most iconic artists in the history of Western art. Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art follows Van Gogh (1853–1890) through four key stages of his career, from early sketches to final paintings.
Few artists left behind as complete a diary of life and work as Van Gogh, whose decade-long career as an artist began when he took up painting in 1881. Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art highlights the artist’s early years in the Netherlands; his luminous period in Paris; his search for light and color in the South of France; and his exploration of nature as a source of enduring inspiration in Saint-Rémy and Auvers.
The exhibition showcases portraits, landscapes, and still lifes drawn primarily from the collections of the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and the Kröller-Müller Museum in Otterlo, the Netherlands.
► MFAH Gallery Experience: Van Gogh Up Close
When you visit the exhibition, be sure to stop by the companion display nearby! Van Gogh Up Close is an immersive, family-friendly experience filled with art-making activities, photo-ops, and interactive fun. MORE INFO
► Van Gogh Mondays: June 10, 17 & 24
During the final three weeks, the exhibition is open on Monday, when the Museum is usually closed. MORE INFO
The illustrated exhibition catalogue is available through the MFA Shop (713.639.7360) and the Museum’s Hirsch Library (713.639.7325). MORE INFO
► Treat Yourself!
On weekends during the run of the exhibition, Liberty Kitchen culinary director Lance Fegen is serving up a rotation of Van Gogh–inspired dishes at all LK locations. In the Heights, check out LK’s famous rooster, painted in the style of Van Gogh by two UH-Downtown students under the direction of LK creative and development director Carl Eaves. MORE INFO
► Audio Tour
The optional audio tour delves deeper into selected works of art, with commentary and insights from MFAH curators. Offered in both English and Spanish. Included in the ticket price, based on availability. Audio-tour players are located at the exhibition entrance.
► Exhibition Admission
Tickets, on sale at any MFAH admissions desk for same-day viewing, include Museum general admission and entry to Van Gogh Up Close. Due to the extraordinary response to this exhibition, tickets are no longer available online, but tickets are still for sale at any Museum admissions desk for same-day viewing. All visitors are admitted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Because of the extraordinary response to this exhibition, tickets to Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art are not available online during the final days, but tickets are still for sale at any Museum admissions desk for same-day viewing. All visitors are admitted on a first-come, first-served basis. Tickets include Museum general admission and entry to Van Gogh Up Close.
► Frequently Asked Questions
• Why can’t I buy tickets online? Due to the extreme popularity of Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art, the Museum has reached a limit for advance tickets. Visitors still have the opportunity to experience the exhibition, because tickets are available for purchase at any admissions desk on the day of your visit. These tickets are sold on a first-come, first-served basis and may sell out quickly.
• When is the best time to get tickets at the Museum? For the best chance of ticket availability, visit on a weekday.
• What should I expect if I get tickets? A limited number of tickets are sold for each hour during Museum operating hours. While you’re here, the MFAH offers many things to see and do. Explore all the other installations and exhibitions on view, pick up a daily schedule of programs and events, and visit the MFA Café and MFA Shop.
• I am an MFAH member. Do I get tickets? Yes, members still receive free tickets, based on level of membership, on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Before I drive in, how can I find out if tickets are still available? Follow @MFAH on Twitter for updates about ticket sales. Signs are also posted on-site at the Museum.
• How long have tickets been available? Tickets have been available for purchase and to members since November 2018.
► Tips for Visiting
● See the exhibition sooner rather than later The volume of guests increases as the closing date (June 27) draws near.
● Visit on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday Peak visitation days are Thursday through Sunday.
● Consider your parking options in advance Go to mfah.org/parking for a handy map.
● It’s okay to view the art in the order that works for you Feel free to walk around from gallery to gallery and experience these masterworks in the sequence that suits you best.
● Audio-tour beacons work from two feet away No need to wait for a turn to stand directly in front of each beacon—point your player toward the beacons to trigger the audio content.
● If you’re an MFAH member, bring your membership card Don’t miss out on your free tickets, plus shop and parking discounts. Not a member? Join today!
Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art
|MFAH Member (Join now!)||Free|
|Senior (65+ with ID), Military (with ID), College Student (19+ with ID), Youth (13–18)||$20|
|Child (12 & younger)||Free|
Vincent van Gogh: His Life in Art | March 10–June 27, 2019
This exhibition has been organized in collaboration with the Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam; the Kröller-Müller Museum, Otterlo; and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
This exhibition is supported by an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and the Humanities.
Lead Corporate Sponsor:
Leading support provided by:
The Hamill Foundation
Generous funding provided by:
Isla and Tommy Reckling
Norton Rose Fulbright
Vivian L. Smith Foundation
The Cyvia and Melvyn Wolff Endowment for Exhibitions
Ann G. Trammell
Joyce Z. Greenberg
This exhibition is supported in part by the National Endowment for the Arts.
This program is supported as part of the Dutch Culture USA program by the Consulate General of the Netherlands in New York.