Winter Festival “Lunar New Year”
February 25, 2024
Celebrate the Lunar New Year and the Year of the Dragon at the family-friendly Winter Festival. Start the day with fiery drums, and end with a thrilling performance by lion and dragon dancers.
Enjoy art-making activities with family and friends: Create paper lanterns, practice calligraphy, decorate wooden plaques for good fortune, paint cherry blossoms, and more. Indulge in foods representing East Asian cuisines, available for purchase from local vendors.
Plan Your Visit
- Admission is free to both the Museum and the Winter Festival activities, thanks to the generosity of H-E-B.
- The festivities take place throughout the MFAH campus.
- Parking Information | Museum Hours | MFAH Campus Map
- Engage in a Dragon Scavenger Hunt and discover dragons within our permanent collections
- The afternoon kicks off with a performance from Taiko Drummers with Kaminari Taiko of Houston
- Enjoy an array of musical performances, from the Chinese Youth Orchestra to Indonesian music to K-pop
- See a traditional dragon and lion dance performance
- Create art inspired by the new year, such as Japanese ema plaques and firecracker sculptures
- Explore your creativity through art-making activities like Chinese calligraphy and paper-lantern making
Taste & Savor
Complimentary snacks and water | H-E-B
Foods for purchase:
- Cafe Leonelli | Curated Menu
- CaoBao | Bao Buns
- Chi’Lantro | Korean Mexican Fusion
- Dumpling Haus | Dumplings
- Hella Bubble | Bubble Tea
- Kâu Ba | Vietnamese Cajun Food
- Mama Marie’s Filipino Soul Food | Filipino Fusion