Women’s History Month 2017: Celebrating #5WomenArtists—and More March 1, 2017
By Kerry Ingram
Can you name 5 women artists?
It’s a provocative, seemingly simple question that has a not-so-simple answer. The National Museum of Women in the Arts launched the #5WomenArtists campaign in 2016 to spark conversation around Women’s History Month, which is celebrated in March. Hundreds of museums and other institutions have rallied to support the campaign by highlighting the contributions of pioneering female artists throughout history.
This year, in 2017, we join the campaign to help ensure that the answer is, without hesitation, “Yes—and I can name WAY more than 5.”
In March, celebrate along with us as we share:
- Facebook Live talks focusing on works of art that are on view in our galleries. Watch on our Facebook page
- A new Google Art Project exhibition highlighting work by women artists represented in the MFAH collections. Browse the online exhibition
- Docent-led gallery talks that include art by women as part of the tour. Drop in for any Highlights or Art Bite Tour this month—they’re free with general admission, which is waived on Thursdays
- Blog posts that explore the work of women artists in-depth, with a new topic every week
- More facts and tidbits on social media throughout the month: Find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and follow along with the conversation at #5WomenArtists