Volunteering at the MFAH
Each year, more than 1,000 people contribute to the cultural vibrancy of this great city by donating their time to the MFAH. People of different backgrounds, from students to retirees, help the Museum meet its goal of bringing art into the lives of people throughout Houston’s communities. At the MFAH, volunteer opportunities encompass various abilities and interests. Options include:
- Leading tours of the Museum galleries
- Helping in the MFA Shop
- Assisting with clerical duties
- Greeting guests
- Facilitating children’s art projects
Who Can Volunteer
MFAH volunteers are a diverse group of people. Just about anyone who has a desire to contribute can volunteer, from teens to stay-at-home parents, and from professionals to retirees.
How to Apply
To become an MFAH volunteer, complete and submit an online application. You will then be invited to attend an orientation session. This important step is required for all prospective volunteers so that you can learn about the available opportunities and meet the staff of the volunteer services department. Orientation sessions are held at least once a month.
Benefits of Volunteering
Although the highest rewards for volunteer service are both intangible and immeasurable, the MFAH recognizes your time and work performance by extending the following benefits:
- Orientation Milestone
- General and special exhibition admission on the day of your shift
- Invitations to lectures and events
- Invitation to join Book Club
- Eligibility to join Speakers Bureau
- 20 Hours Milestone
- Benefits listed above
- 20% discount at MFA Shop
- Invitations to day trips and other exclusive events
- Eligibility to serve on Volunteer Guild Council
- 50 Hours Milestone
- Benefits listed above
- MFAH volunteer lapel pin with special attachments
- Invitations to long trips
- Discount on MFAH membership
For more information, please contact email@example.com or 713.639.7507.
What Is a Volunteer Docent?
Docents are volunteer Museum educators who engage visitors of all ages in conversations and active explorations about art. The docent training program encompasses art history as well as touring methods and techniques, so each docent is fully prepared to facilitate enriching gallery experiences. You are invited to join the dedicated corps of docents and to discover a world of art. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.