Tips for Visiting
Make Your Museum Visit Enjoyable
• Wear comfortable shoes! The MFAH has 300,000 square feet of exhibition space.
• Babies are welcome, and strollers are permitted.
• Coat- and bag-check services are available for free in both the Beck and Law buildings.
• The MFAH operates a lost-and-found service: call 713.639.7300.
• Enhance your visit! Enjoy a gallery tour or take a self- or docent-guided tour. Audio guides are also available. More Info
Spend the Day
• Whenever you visit, you may re-enter any part of the Museum buildings the entire day of your admission purchase. Just show your MFAH sticker.
• No need to leave for a lunch break! Drop by the Museum's café or visit the daily on-site food trucks. (Food and beverages are not permitted in Brown Auditorium Theater.) Dining Info
• For information about services and special programs for visitors with disabilities, call 713.639.7300 or stop by the admissions desks of the Beck and Law buildings. Learn More
• For recorded visitor information in Spanish, call 713.639.7379.
• MFAH staff members speak a number of languages, including French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
• To inquire about interpretive services, stop by the admission desks of the Beck and Law buildings.
Photography and Visitor Guidelines
• Visit mfah.org/policies for the most up-to-date photography policy for the main campus, Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens, and Rienzi.
• Please help our preservation efforts by remaining one foot away from all works of art. Touching works of art is strictly prohibited.
• Backpacks, luggage, and large tote bags must be checked in at coat check. To ensure the safety of the art, the Museum does not permit individuals to carry bags or children on their backs in the galleries.
• Smoking of any kind, including electronic and vapor cigarettes, is not permitted inside the Museum and Cullen Sculpture Garden, and within 25 feet of all entrances and exits.
Firearms Not Permitted
• The MFAH is firearms-free. Firearms, including without limitation handguns, shotguns, and rifles (whether concealed or openly carried) are prohibited on the MFAH premises. See sections 30.06 and 30.07 for more information in English and Spanish. For more information about the Texas “open carry” law, please visit the City of Houston website: houstontx.gov/police/open_carry.