The Studio School at the Glassell School of Art offers an intensely focused year-long program for the advanced student with an ongoing studio practice. BLOCK encourages the development of a peer group of artists, allowing for lasting interactions and shared learning.
Each participant receives weekly individual critiques with a mix of Glassell faculty, Houston-area artists, curators, and critics. Weekly morning seminars, which require advance preparation, focus on other contemporary artists’ practices and professionalization practices, combining lectures, discussions, and field trips. Drawing from the rich resources of the MFAH, with trips to exhibitions and visits from curators, BLOCK expects significant developments in each participant’s work. The BLOCK program is led by Francesca Fuchs with Laura August.
Virtual presentation focusing on landscape and environmental repair, solitude, dreamscapes, and psychological journeys.
On view at the Glassell School of Art from September 17 to December 3, with an opening reception and an artists talk.
Deadlines & Process
- Submissions are accepted beginning March 12, 2021.
- Submission deadline is April 12, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.
- Applications are conducted through SlideRoom. Please note that the processing fee is $12.
- All text submissions need to be in PDF format.
- Please make sure each text PDF contains your name and email address.
- 10 works: images, and/or video, and/or audio (if video/audio 5 minutes max).
- One-page statement of intent, i.e. a proposal of what you plan to do during BLOCK (if at the Glassell School, add the name of a Glassell instructor who knows you/your work).
- One-page résumé/CV (list) with your education—elsewhere and at Glassell—and exhibition(s).
- Brief, one-paragraph bio of your life (narrative).
- Image list containing title, date, medium, and dimensions (HxWxD) for each work.
Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org / 713.639.7500
The Glassell School of Art receives generous funding from the Glassell Family; Daviee-Walters Family Trust; The Skiles Foundation; Leslie and Brad Bucher; Sue and Rusty Burnett; John P. McGovern Foundation; Mr. and Mrs. John S. Orton; and additional generous donors.