Programs & Activities for Teens
The MFAH presents art-inspired programs for all ages, including special programs and resources for ages 13–18. Check out what we have to offer for teen visitors, from art-making and video game-hacking fun to tips on getting in for free!
Teen Leadership Group: hang@MFAH
The Museum's teen leadership group, hang@MFAH (Houston Art New Generation at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston) is offered as an out-of-school program for motivated high school teens interested in everything from talking about art to video-game hacking!
Throughout the year, hang@MFAH members spend time with a mentor artist in the galleries to discuss objects in the collections and explore concepts through analog and digital tools to develop creative and critical-thinking skills.
Membership in hang@MFAH is available by application.
Classes at the Glassell Junior School
The Glassell Junior School is an art school for ages 3 to 18! Open to all interested young artists, the Junior School can fit any schedule, from after-school offerings during the spring and fall semesters to weeklong classes in the summer.
Teens can learn about drawing, ceramics, printmaking, fashion design, digital art, stop-motion animation, and more!
Activities for Teens at the MFAH House Museums
The two MFAH house museums located in the nearby River Oaks neighborhood—Bayou Bend, which displays American decorative arts and paintings, and Rienzi, the house museum for European decorative arts and paintings—offer a break from the busy city with quiet gardens and beautiful rooms in historic mansions.
Location: 6003 Memorial Drive
• Free Family Days and the annual Christmas Village at Bayou Bend include fun for all ages! Check the calendar for the latest information.
See what’s happening at Bayou Bend
Location: 1406 Kirby Drive
• Saturday Sketch is a monthly program for all interested sketchers! Free with Rienzi admission, and all art-making materials are supplied.
• Enjoy extra activities for all ages during holidays, such as Spring Break and Boxing Day, and free Family Days. Check the calendar for the latest information.
See what’s happening at Rienzi
Free Admission Opportunities for Teens
- Teens age 18 or younger visiting on a Saturday or Sunday with a library card from any public library in Texas do not have to pay general admission. The library cardholder receives one free general admission. Offer does not apply to ticketed exhibitions or events.
- On Thursdays, general admission to the MFAH is completely FREE, to everyone, courtesy of Shell.
More Resources & Info
- Free sketching materials are available in the Kinder Foundation Education Center, located on the lower level of the main Museum’s Law Building.
- Need art-research assistance for a school project? Contact the Hirsch Library! The Museum’s online collection is a great, free resource for searching works of art, too.
- Plan your trip with tips for visiting.