Summer Fun at the MFAH
Welcome! The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, is the place to be this summer, with activities for all ages—adults and kids alike. You'll find wonderful opportunities to connect with and explore the world of art through gallery activities, tours, art making, films, and more. The MFAH is especially lively on Thursdays, when general admission is free and the Museum is open late. Kids 12 & younger always get in free!
► Hours and Admissions
► Información sobre el Museo
► General Tips for All Visitors
► Visiting Tool Kit for Families
► Parking Info
► Enjoying the Museum for Free
Explore the Art
• Peacock in the Desert: The Royal Arts of Jodhpur, India on view through August 19
• Mike + Doug Starn: Big Bambú on view through September 3
• Joris Laarman Lab: Design in the Digital Age on view June 24–September 16
• and more!
Bring the Family
Discover everything the Museum has to offer with these programs and activities for families! Check the links below for more information.
At the MFAH
• Sunday Family Zone Sundays, 1 p.m.
• Sunday Family Studio Selected Sundays, 1 p.m. & 2:30 p.m.
• MFAH Playdate Tuesdays, June 5–August 7,10:45 a.m.
• Family Storybook Circle Tuesdays, June 5–August 7, 11:30 a.m.
• Summer Art Explorers Thursdays in June & July, 11 a.m.
• Little Artists First Friday & Saturday of the month, 10:30 a.m.
• Our Youngest Artists Selected Fridays & Saturdays, 10:30 & 11:30 a.m.
• Music on the Plaza Selected Fridays, June 15–August 17, 5–8 p.m.
At the House Museums
• Family Discovery Day at Rienzi Saturday, June 2, 1 p.m.
• Storytime Tours at Rienzi Wednesdays in June & July, 10 a.m.
• Bastille Day at Rienzi Saturday, July 14, 10 a.m.
• 4th of July Celebration at Bayou Bend Wednesday, July 4, 12 noon
• Detective Days at Bayou Bend Tuesdays–Saturdays, 10 a.m. & Sundays, 1 p.m.
Let’s Go to the Movies
See a movie on the big screen! The MFAH presents the best in cinema year-round, and the Museum’s Brown Auditorium Theater is the perfect place to beat the summer heat.
Time to Eat
Fuel your outing with a stop at the MFA Café, open for lunch Tuesday through Sunday! In addition to the Italian-inspired menu, enjoy daily specials and weekend brunch options.
Plus, you can check to see which of the different daily food trucks is parked under the covered porch of the Beck Buiding at 5601 Main Street.
On weekdays, bring your lunch receipt from the MFA Café or food truck to any admissions desk and receive free same-day general admission from 12 noon to 2 p.m. Enter the Museum during those hours, and stay as long as you wish, until closing time.
Visit Bayou Bend
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens, the MFAH house museum for American decorative arts, is set amidst 14 acres of beautiful gardens in the historic River Oaks neighborhood.
► For more about Bayou Bend, visit mfah.org/bayoubend or call 713.639.7750.
Rienzi, the MFAH house museum for European decorative arts, sits on four acres of wooded gardens in River Oaks.
► For more about Rienzi, visit mfah.org/rienzi or call 713.639.7800. Rienzi is closed in August.