MFAH Book Club Tours
Art and literature meet here! Designed for both established book clubs and individuals interested in creating connections between literary and visual arts, the MFAH Book Club links works of literature to works of art at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
The MFAH Book Club presents three selections per year. Each book:
- Is featured for a four-month period in the fall, spring, and summer
- Is accompanied by a downloadable discussion guide to facilitate group discussions • For those in book clubs
- Culminates with a docent-led tour at the Museum, scheduled in advance • For those in book clubs
- Has a Goodreads group dedicated to online discussion throughout the book’s four-month period • For individuals
Hold Still: A Memoir with Photographs by Sally Mann
Tours available March 1–June 30, 2019
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
Tours available July 2–October 31, 2019
► For more information, email email@example.com
How to Participate
Pick the approach that works best for you and your schedule.
Not already part of a book club? Here's how to partipate on your own!
- Read the book at your own pace! MFAH Book Club selections are sometimes available as audiobooks via services such as Audible, or through apps that use your public library card for free audio, such as Overdrive.
- Become a part of our Goodreads online discussion group. You can sign in with your Facebook account, or create your own Goodreads account. Discussion questions for the current book club pick are posted every other week, but feel free to pose questions of your own.
- Enhance your experience by visiting the Museum and taking a free drop-in tour related to the themes of the book.
Part of a book club or other group of six or more people? Here's how to participate with your group!
Read the book. Most MFAH Book Club selections may be purchased at the MFA Shop, where Museum members receive a discount. Reading copies are also available in the Museum’s Kinder Foundation Education Center and at the Museum's Hirsch Library.
- Download the discussion guide to facilitate your conversation. This guide features questions about the book and select artworks on view at the MFAH.
- Request a docent-led tour by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org—a minimum of 3 weeks in advance—with the following information:
• The name of your group and number of participants
• The primary organizer's name, telephone number, and email address
• Your preferred date and time for your tour (see below for tour availability)
- Look for a confirmation email, within 5 business days, with information about when and where to meet the docent at the Museum.
Questions? Email email@example.com
What to Expect on an MFAH Book Club Tour
• MFAH Book Club tours are free for MFAH members and free with general Museum admission for nonmembers.
• Tours last approximately 1½ hours.
• Camp stools are provided for seating.
• Docents facilitate tours, selecting several works of art on display that they feel best connect with aspects of the featured book.
• Excerpts from the book are a vital component of these discussion-based tours, so you are encouraged to bring your copy of the book along.
• Expect lively discussion about the book and the art!
Since the MFAH Book Club's inception, the Museum has featured a wide range of fiction and nonfiction picks. Though tours are not offered for these past selections, discussion guides are available here.