MFAH Book Club Tours
Art and literature meet here! Designed for both established book clubs and individuals interested in creating connections between literary and visual arts, the MFAH Book Club links works of literature to works of art at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
The MFAH Book Club presents three selections per year. Each book:
- Is featured for a four-month period in the fall, spring, and summer
- Is accompanied by a downloadable discussion guide to facilitate group discussions • For those in book clubs
- Culminates with a docent-led tour at the Museum, scheduled in advance • For those in book clubs
- Has a Goodreads group dedicated to online discussion throughout the book’s four-month period • For individuals
Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
“Pachinko is the epic saga of a Korean family over four generations, beginning in 1910 during the Japanese colonialization and ending in 1989. The story starts with a young Korean man who was born with physical deformities but whose destiny comes from his inner strength and kindness. His daughter, rather than bring shame on her family, leaves their homeland for Japan, where her children and grandchildren are born and raised. Yet prejudice against their Korean heritage prevents them from ever feeling at home. Pachinko says much about success and suffering, prejudice and tradition. Min Jin Lee’s exceptional story of one family is the story of many of the world’s people.” —Amazon.com
• Groups of 6 or more: Scheduled tours related to “Pachinko” are available through October 2018. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Individuals: Drop in for one of these tours—Thursday, August 23, at 6 p.m. or Saturday, October 27, at 1 p.m. Learn more
How to Participate
Pick the approach that works best for you and your schedule.
Not already part of a book club? Here's how to partipate on your own!
- Read the book at your own pace! MFAH Book Club selections are sometimes available as audiobooks via services such as Audible, or through apps that use your public library card for free audio, such as Overdrive.
- Become a part of our Goodreads online discussion group. You can sign in with your Facebook account, or create your own Goodreads account. Discussion questions for the current book club pick are posted every other week, but feel free to pose questions of your own.
- Enhance your experience by visiting the Museum and taking a free drop-in tour related to the themes of the book. Drop-in tours for “Pachinko” take place on Thursday, August 23, 6 p.m., and Saturday, October 27, 1 p.m. Learn more
Part of a book club or other group of six or more people? Here's how to participate with your group!
Read the book. Most MFAH Book Club selections may be purchased at the MFA Shop, where Museum members receive a discount. Reading copies are also available in the Museum’s Kinder Foundation Education Center and at the Museum's Hirsch Library.
- Download the discussion guide to facilitate your conversation. This guide features questions about the book and select artworks on view at the MFAH.
• Access the discussion guide for Pachinko
- Request a docent-led tour by emailing email@example.com—a minimum of 3 weeks in advance—with the following information:
• The name of your group and number of participants
• The primary organizer's name, telephone number, and email address
• Your preferred date and time for your tour (see below for tour availability)
Tours related to Pachinko are available between July 3 through October 31, 2018.
Choose from the following days and times:
Tuesdays, 2 p.m. or 3:30 p.m.
Wednesdays, 2 p.m. or 3:30 p.m.
Thursdays, 10:30 am, 3:30 p.m., or 6:30 p.m.
Sundays, 2 p.m. or 3:30 p.m.
Note: If your group meets on a specfic day and/or time not listed above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a request, which we will try to accommodate.
- Look for a confirmation email, within 5 business days, with information about when and where to meet the docent at the Museum.
Questions? Email email@example.com
What to Expect on an MFAH Book Club Tour
• MFAH Book Club tours are free for MFAH members and free with general Museum admission for nonmembers.
• Tours last approximately 1½ hours.
• Camp stools are provided for seating.
• Docents facilitate tours, selecting several artworks on view at the Museum that they feel best connect with aspects of the featured book.
• Excerpts from the book are a vital component of these discussion-based tours, so we encourage you to bring your copy of the book along.
• Expect lively discussion of the book and artworks!
Save the dates for the next MFAH Book Club selections!
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez
Tours available November 1, 2018–February 28, 2019
Hold Still: A Memoir with Photographs by Sally Mann
Tours available March 1–June 30, 2019
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
Tours available July 1–October 31, 2019
Since the MFAH Book Club's inception, the Museum has featured a wide range of fiction and nonfiction picks. Though tours are not offered for these past selections, discussion guides are available here.