Spring Break 2018
During Spring Break week, March 10–18, 2018, the Museum offers a variety of activities, tours, and creative programs for all ages! Learn more about hours & admissions.
► The Museum, Bayou Bend, and Rienzi are open all week, including Monday and Tuesday, when some locations are usually closed. Cullen Sculpture Garden is open every day, year-round.
Family Fun at the Museum
The MFAH is a hub of Spring Break fun, with lots of ways for families to explore the Museum together. In addition to the programs below, see the calendar for a day-by-day list.
Spring Break 2018 | Family Activities & Programs at the Main Museum Campus
► Family Resources
Stop by the KFEC (Kinder Foundation Education Center) for helpful tips from the friendly staff on making the most of your visit. For fun in the galleries, borrow one of the many different Family Packs; and ask about the storybook checkout program.
► Our Youngest Artists
Saturday, March 10, 10:30 & 11:30 a.m.
► Sunday Family Zone
Sundays, March 11 & 18, 1–4 p.m.
► Spring Break at the Museum
March 12–16, 11 a.m.–2 p.m.
► Family Art-Making Activity for Members
Wednesday, March 14, 1–4 p.m
► Teen Workshop: En Plein Air
Friday, March 16, 1 p.m.
► Sunday Family Studio
Sunday, March 18, 1 & 2:30 p.m.
Spring Break at Bayou Bend
Just a few minutes away from the Museum campus in the heart of the historic River Oaks neighborhood, Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens, the MFAH house museum for American decorative arts and paintings, offers a wide range of child-friendly activities in the gardens, the mansions, and the Lora Jean Kilroy Visitor Center. Ages 17 & younger receive free admission to Bayou Bend during Spring Break! Adults may purchase Bayou Bend general admission in advance online.
Spring Break 2018 at Bayou Bend
March 12–16, 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
• Self-Guided Garden Tours (10 a.m.–5 p.m.) Discover the blooming flowers and natural beauty of Bayou Bend during springtime. Along the way, you’ll find art-making activities, guest experts, and exploration stations related to history, nature, and springtime.
• First-Floor Open House Tours (10 a.m.–4 p.m.) Young visitors receive a special guide to the house with a focus on nature in art. Docents are stationed throughout the house until 3 p.m. each day, too!
• Historical Game Zone in the Diana Garden (11 a.m.–4 p.m.) Enjoy spring weather as you play popular outdoor games in early America, such as quoits, graces, jump rope, and shuttlecock.
• Art-Making: Colors of Nature on the South Lawn (10 a.m.–4 p.m.) Stop by this station to color a sheet, found in your Spring Break passport, inspired by the blooms and creatures on the mansion’s Dining Room wall coverings.
• Colonial Campsite (1–4 p.m.) Get hands-on with some reproduction objects that help young minds imagine how daily life has changed from America’s earliest days to the present. Reproduction examples of cookware, toys, writing instruments, clothing, and more can be touched and handled here!
• Special Daily Event Check the calendar for the day you want to visit and find out about a fun, interactive activity that changes every day!
Spring Break at Bayou Bend is generously underwritten by William J. Hill.
Spring Break at Rienzi
Enjoy family-friendly fun at Rienzi, the MFAH house museum for European decorative arts and paintings. Located in River Oaks near Bayou Bend, Rienzi offers activities perfect for both adults and kids! Children 12 & younger receive free admission.
Spring Break 2018 at Rienzi
March 12–16, 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Sketching in the Gardens: March 12–16, 10 a.m. to 12 noon Visit the Rienzi gardens and sketch colorful flowers, lush green spaces, interesting architectural details, and eclectic mix of statues. Paper, clipboards, and pencils are provided!
- Storytime Tour: Wednesday–Friday, March 14–16, 10–11 a.m. Introduce children to the magic of art and literature in an intimate setting. This program is fun and interactive, featuring stories related to themes highlighted in the Rienzi Collection.
- Gallery Talk at Rienzi: Thursday, March 15, 1 p.m. Join a discussion with MFAH conservator Jane Gilles on the Allegorical Figure known as Lady Gandes Coade stone statue in the Rienzi gardens.
Activities for Adults
There's something for everyone at the MFAH! Check the highlights below, and go to the daily calendar for details, updates, and more events.
• Opening-Day Lecture: Michelangelo the “Divine One” and the Rise of Drawing as an Art Form
Sunday, March 11, 2018, 3 p.m.
• Kinder Institute for Urban Research Forum Lecture: New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu
Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 7 p.m.
• Gallery Talk at Rienzi “Lady Gandes in the Gardens”
Thursday, March 15, 2018, 1 p.m.
• Focus Tour at Rienzi
Sunday, March 18, 2018, 1 p.m.
• Daily Gallery Talks at the MFAH
Guided tours of the Museum’s collections are available through the day, every day. Check the calendar for topics.
Take in a movie on the big screen! MFAH Films presents the best in cinema year-round, from classic films to the latest new releases.
On tap during Spring Break 2018:
Visiting for Free
Kids 12 & younger always get in free to the MFAH and Rienzi! Ages 18 & younger are admitted to Bayou Bend for free during Spring Break.
Admission is always free to Cullen Sculpture Garden, open every day from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
On Thursday, Museum general admission is free for everyone, courtesy of Shell Oil Company. Plus, the Museum is open late, until 9 p.m. See more information about hours and admissions.