Self-Guided Visits for Schools
Self-guided visits are perfect for teachers who want to lead their own tours of the Museum. Groups are welcome to explore the MFAH art collections and any nonticketed exhibitions.
Book your tour now! Tour reservations for groups must be made at least two weeks in advance. Availability and space at the Museum are limited, so be sure to book first when planning your trip. To review our availability and book your tour, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Self-guided visits are available year-round, Tuesday through Saturday. Some special restrictions may apply during high-attendance periods.
- Self-guided vists are available at 11 a.m., and at 1 p.m. and later. Availability and space at the Museum are limited, so be sure to book first when planning your trip. We will schedule your group so that your visit is as enjoyable and free from interruptions as possible!
- Self-guided visits last one hour.
- Self-guided visits to the permanent collection and nonticketed exhibitions are free of charge for students and chaperones when booked in advance.
- Self-guided visits to specially ticketed exhibitions are subject to admission fees. Learn more about the Museums’ exhibitions.
- A minimum of 10 students is required to book a self-guided visit.
- The maximum number of students for a self-guided visit is 70 for the MFAH collection. Schools who wish to bring groups larger than the maximum may request multiple self-guided visits in the same day. Please contact email@example.com in advance for additional assistance booking larger groups.
Self-guided Visits for Ticketed Exhibitions
School groups receive discounted admission to ticketed exhibitions. Rates may vary from exhibition to exhibition. Payment must be received seven days prior to the scheduled tour date. Schools who do not submit payment in advance cannot pay on site on the day of their tour. Acceptable forms of payment include credit card or check. All purchases are final and refunds cannot be issued.
► School tours must be booked through the Museum’s learning & interpretation department. To request a self-guided visit to a ticketed exhibition, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
How to Prepare for Your Visit
Please review the following important documents before your visit.
What to Do During a Self-Guided Visit
The MFAH offers resources to assist you as you guide your group through the galleries. From sketching supplies to downloadable resources, these options help deepen students' experiences with art.
With so much to see, how do you choose? Focus your students' experience with the following downloadable resources, which will guide you in selecting works of art to see on a self-guided visit.
Pre-written Self-guided Tours
These resources will help you guide students on an hour-long visit to the permanent collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. The guides include 5 objects in a variety of collection areas and mediums, along with art history, tour tips, discussion questions, and transitions.
Choose the right guide for your grade level:
Or, short on time? Try these looking activities appropriate for a range of grade levels!
Learning Through Art Online Curriculum
Learning Through Art at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston connects the Museum's collections of world art into classroom curriculum for art, language arts, math, science, and social studies. Use the Museum’s elementary and middle school curriculum to integrate higher level cognitive skills, such as observing and organizing information, making predictions, and communicating ideas and thoughts with art inquiry methods to ultimately promote the students’ development of 21st-century skills that are needed to succeed in the world. View the online curriculum.