In the corner of a small Seoul café, Areum (Kim Minhee) sits typing on her laptop. At the tables around her, other customers enact the various dramas of their lives. A young couple charge each other with serious crimes, an old man tries to rekindle a flame with a younger woman, a narcissistic filmmaker works to put together his next project—all while Areum types. Is she merely writing what she hears? Or is she hearing what she’s written? As the dramas inside the café unfold, the plants outside grow taller. For his 22nd feature, prolific director Hong Sang-soo delivers a delicious cinematic riddle.
• “An exquisite hangout movie.” —Sight & Sound
• “A welcome—indeed, almost humane—dose of humor.” —Film Stage
• “Edgy, multilayered, and far from docile.” —Hollywood Reporter
• “Hong has taken the familiar elements of his work and exploded them.” —Slant
• Film Review —RogerEbert.com