Based on the filmmaker’s real-life adventures as a Russian immigrant driving a medical transport vehicle in Wisconsin, Give Me Liberty follows a day in the life of van driver Vic (Chris Galust), who frequently encounters obstacles in his daily route.
Roads are closed for a protest, and no one else can shuttle his Russian grandfather and émigré friends to a funeral. The new route uproots Vic’s scheduled clients, particularly Tracy (Lauren “Lolo” Spencer in a breakout performance), a vibrant young woman with ALS. As the day goes from hectic to off-the-rails, their collective ride becomes a hilarious, compassionate, and intersectional portrait of American dreams and disenchantment.
• Nominations for 2019 Independent Spirit Awards: Best Male Lead (Chris Galust); Best Supporting Female (Lauren “Lolo” Spencer); Best Editing (Kirill Mikhanovsky); John Cassavetes Award.
• Winner of Best Film at the International Film Festival and Awards Macau.
• “This film is tremendous.... What it pulls off is a little miracle.” —FilmWeek
• “One of the most electric films [at the Sundance Film Festival] ... a fresh vision of the all-American crowd-pleaser.” —Roger Ebert.com
• “A master class in controlled, escalating chaos.” —Los Angeles Times
• “At once breakneck and tolerant, Give Me Liberty manages to be both rousingly Russian and touchingly all-American.” —New Yorker
• “It’s a ride that opens the door to a diverse and important community. With wonderfully raw and absorbing performances, this small tale is a rare treat.” —Film Inquiry