Art + Design: Community Day
In the spirit of community and collaboration, celebrate art and design with energetic music, games, and hands-on activities for all ages. The fun takes place at the Museum’s new Glassell School of Art and The Brown Foundation, Inc. Plaza.
Many of the activities are inspired by the experimental designs in the exhibition Joris Laarman Lab: Design in the Digital Age. Plus, you can enjoy bites from the day’s food carts: Popston and Spicy Dog.
- Art-making activities (11 a.m.–2 p.m.)
- Virtual-reality station with Houston Community College’s department of interior design (11 a.m.–2 p.m.)
- Design activity with Glassell Junior School instructor Jessica McMahon (11 a.m.–2 p.m.)
- Story Booth (11 a.m.–2 p.m.)
- Sign up to share a story with “Story Booth: LIVE” at 2 p.m.
- Walk with docents (11:30 a.m. & 12:30 p.m. & 1:30 p.m.)
- Play Garden Quest III: The Legend of Stella (11 a.m.–2 p.m.)
- Play the memory game about the MFAH collections (11 a.m.–2 p.m.)
- Visit the lemonade stand (11 a.m.–2 p.m.)
- Songs for Art: A Spotify Playlist (11 a.m.–2 p.m.)
- Listen to this Spotify playlist as you explore the expanded MFAH campus.
- Performance by Nameless Sound (11:30 a.m.)
- This site-specific improvisational piece activates the Glassell School entryway with floor-to-ceiling sound.
- Performance by Houston Pride Band (1 p.m.)
- Enjoy the tremendous sounds of Houston Pride Band’s Brass Quintet and SaxWorx saxophone ensemble.
- Story Booth: LIVE (2 p.m.)
- Sign up at the Story Booth to tell your story.
Drop in! This event is free. General admission to the Museum, which includes access to “Joris Laarman Lab,” is available separately. For ages 12 & younger, Museum admission is always free.