In four and a half years and nearly 3,000 images, the Scottish team of Hill and Adamson pioneered the aesthetic terrain of photography, creating the earliest substantial body of self-consciously artistic work in the new medium. Hill was a locally prominent painter in Edinburgh with a keen sense of composition and an affable manner that put his sitters at ease; Adamson, 20 years his junior, brought to the partnership an extraordinary mastery of the negative-positive photographic process invented just a few years earlier by the Englishman William Henry Fox Talbot. Although Hill and Adamson’s portraits lacked the extraordinary precision of contemporaneous daguerreotypes, they were much admired for the warm tones and Rembrandtesque massing of light and shadow that were characteristics of Talbot’s process.
Their portrait of Dr. Munro is one of some 200 the team made as preparatory studies for a grand history painting that Hill planned in commemoration of the establishment of the Free Church of Scotland in 1843. Ultimately, these photographic studies proved to be a far more powerful record than Hill’s large but lackluster painting.
Cataloguing data may change with further research.
If you have questions about this work of art or the MFAH Online Collection please contact us.
David Octavius Hill, Scottish, 1802–1870Robert Adamson, Scottish, 1821–1848
Dr. Alexander Munro, Professor of Anatomy at Edinburgh University
- Salted paper print from paper negative
- Image: 7 3/4 x 6 1/16 in. (19.7 x 15.4 cm) Sheet: 7 3/4 × 6 1/16 in. (19.7 × 15.4 cm) Mount: 10 7/8 x 8 11/16 in. (27.6 x 22 cm)
- Credit Line
Museum purchase funded by The Brown Foundation, Inc., The Manfred Heiting Collection
- Current Location
- Not on view
- Accession Number
from portfolio assembled by Hill for sale to Scottish National Gallery, Edinburgh; ex-collection Dietmar Siegert, Munich