This exceptionally fine depiction of the Virgin Mary and Christ Child was created by an anonymous painter distinguished for his traditional patterning of the gold ground, striking combinations of rich colors, and skill in rendering the diaphanous drapery. "Master of the Straus Madonna" is the pseudonym given to an unknown Italian artist who worked in Florence toward the beginning of the 15th century. Art historians use the designation "Master of" to label the creators of anonymous works for convenience in discussing them. "Straus" refers to Mr. and Mrs. Straus, who donated this painting to the MFAH in 1944. In this beautifully preserved panel, the modeling of the Virgin and Child demonstrates the artist's awareness of early Renaissance developments in painting the human figure as a volume in space. The Christ Child holds a goldfinch—a common symbol of the Resurrection—and wears a coral pendant, a talisman believed since ancient times to protect against evil.
Cataloguing data may change with further research.
If you have questions about this work of art or the MFAH Online Collection please contact us.
Master of the Straus Madonna, Italian (Florentine), active late 14th and early 15th centuries
Virgin and Child
- c. 1395–1400
- Tempera and gold leaf on wood
- Panel: 35 1/2 × 19 in. (90.2 × 48.3 cm) Frame: 45 13/16 × 27 1/2 in. (116.4 × 69.9 cm)
- Credit Line
The Edith A. and Percy S. Straus Collection
- Current Location
The Audrey Jones Beck Building
204 TATKON GALLERY
- Accession Number
Carlo Pini, c. 1898; acquired by James Kerr Lawson, Settignano, Italy; acquired by Edward Hutton (1875–1969), London; acquired by Percy S. Straus, New York, 1926; bequeathed to the MFAH, 1944.