Friday, Saturday, Sunday | May 8–10, 2015
Create a family memory this Mother's Day with art, activities, and special offers throughout the MFAH campus. Enjoy exhibitions and programs at the Museum, Bayou Bend, and Rienzi all weekend.
Explore any or all of the wonderful exhibitions. Among the highlights:
• Spectacular Rubens Final weekend!
• Unfolding Worlds: Japanese Screens and Contemporary Ceramics from the Gitter-Yelen Collection Final weekend!
• For a New World to Come: Experiments in Japanese Art and Photography, 1968–1979
• A Photographer’s Collection: Gifts from Michael and Michele Marvins
• American Modern: Works from the Collection of Alice C. Simkins
Fun for All Ages
Before you head into the galleries, stop by the Kinder Foundation Education Center (KFEC) for tips on making your visit more enjoyable. The KFEC offers family packs, sketching materials, computer stations, books, and free Wi-Fi. Friendly staff members are on hand to help visitors explore the art collections and exhibitions in new ways, through digital content, artist videos, and more.
Gallery talks and tours, led by Museum educators, share connections between different works of art, cultures, and time periods. No reservations required! See all topics available.
Take Mom to the movies! The MFAH presents the best in contemporary, classic, independent, and international films year-round. See what's playing.
Share art-making and gallery-exploring as a family with Sunday afternoon programs, free with admission!
• Sunday Family Zone + Studio: “A Modern Take on the Natural World”
• Sketching in the Galleries
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens
Bring the special women in your life for an afternoon of nature, beauty, and art at beautiful Bayou Bend.
On Saturday and Sunday, May 9 and 10, mothers and grandmothers receive free admission and a gift from The Shop at Bayou Bend. All accompanying guests receive discounted admission, and children 9 and younger are admitted free. Bayou Bend’s gorgeous gardens and both floors of the house are open for audio tours. Learn more.
For more information about Bayou Bend, visit mfah.org/bayoubend or call 713.639.7750.
Celebrate Mother’s Day with an outing at Rienzi. The lovely estate is situated on four acres of wooded gardens. On Sunday, May 10, Moms enjoy complimentary admission and a fresh flower to take home!
• Enjoy special Mother's Days Tours of Rienzi on the half hour.
• Shutterbugs and nature lovers may take advantage of Sunday Garden Photography. Admission to Rienzi's gardens is always free!
• Houston Grand Opera Studio presents a gallery recital at 5 p.m. Learn more and get tickets.
For more information about Rienzi, visit mfah.org/rienzi or call 713.639.7800.
Gifts for Mom
Jewelry Trunk Show
If you're visiting the Museum on Friday or Saturday, May 8 or 9, stop by the Mother's Day Jewelry Trunk Show! This exclusive event takes place at The MFAH Shop from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day. Learn more.
The café opens for breakfast at 8 a.m. each day and stays open until the Museum closes. Treat Mom to a meal, coffee, dessert, or a glass of wine. More information
Fine Art + Food Trucks
Cullen Sculpture Garden offers a curated selection of Houston's finest food trucks every day, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. More information