Student Alumni Organization
The Student Alumni Organization (SAO) is a donor group created specifically for the students and alumni of the Glassell School of Art. For current and former students who are passionate about giving back to the Glassell School community, the SAO provides an opportunity not only to connect with other Glassell alumni, but also to contribute to the school’s mission. When you join the SAO, your gift allows the school to continue providing excellent instruction; to keep its tuition fees affordable; and to create an ever-growing community of artists.
Studio $75 (FMV $50)
• Eligibility for entry in the SAO Select Juried Exhibition
• An invitation to the preview party for the Annual Student Sale
Workshop $250 (FMV $125)
All of the benefits of Studio level, and
• An invitation to an exclusive Dean's Reception held at the private residence of a faculty member or donor
Exhibition $1,000 (FMV $150)
All of the benefits of Workshop level, and
• Recognition at the Annual Student Exhibition
• A complimentary copy of the annual Core publication
• One complimentary art history course at the Glassell School
• For those who wish to contribute $2,500 or more and receive benefits that reach throughout the Museum, the Leadership Circle offers exclusive access to the MFAH.
• Leadership Circle members who designate a portion or their entire gift to the Glassell School also receive SAO benefits at the level of their Glassell donation.
To become a member of the Glassell SAO, complete the online donation form and choose Glassell School of Art when making your gift. For more information, please call 713.639.7559.
Short-term installations curated by Studio School department heads display outstanding work from a select number of students in each department in the Interspace Gallery, located in the lobby area of the Holcombe facility.
SAO Select 2015: A Student/Alumni Organization Exhibition
September 21–October 18, 2015
Glass Block Building Images: The Photography Students’ Eye
November 16–December 5, 2015
Digital Assist: Works from the Glassell Digital Department
December 14, 2015–January 30, 2016
Beyond Resemblance: Two Takes on the Portrait
Marky Dewhirst and Sarah Fisher
February 8–27, 2016
Works by Stephanie Gonzalez and Gerald Syler
March 7–26, 2016
April 4–23, 2016
Annual Student Exhibition
May 20–July 25, 2016
Studio School Lectures
In addition to the Core lecture series, the Glassell School of Art organizes two Studio School lecture series: the Naomi Turner True Lecture, which has featured artists such as John Alexander and Eric Fischl, and the Booker-Lowe Lecture, with past speakers that include Karyn Olivier and Albert Paley. These lectures are free, open to the public, and are usually paired with a small reception.
The Fifth Annual Naomi Turner True Lecture
“Reaching New Audiences with New Formats”
Saturday, January 30, 2016, 4 p.m.
Presented by Anne Tucker, curator emeritus, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Annual Student Art Sale
Thursday, December 10, 2015
Regular Sale Hours
Friday, December 11, 2015
12 noon–8 p.m.
Saturday, December 12, 2015
10 a.m.–5 p.m.
► Takes place at the Studio School's temporary facility at 2450 Holcombe Boulevard
The annual Studio School Student Art Sale, held in December, is an outlet for students to sell work created over the course of the school year to an eager and enthusiastic public.
Proceeds benefit students in two ways: 75% from the sale of each object goes back to the student, and 25% goes toward Glassell School scholarships.