Outdoor Sketching Competition
Each spring, the Glassell Junior School awards scholarships through an outdoor sketching competition. Scholarships are for a 1½ hour class beginning with the fall semester. Upon successful completion of the fall semester, the scholarship continues through spring of the following year. Scholarship students may pick a class in their age group that best fits their schedule. Classes are offered after school, Monday through Thursday; Saturday morning and afternoon; and Sunday afternoon.
The Glassell Junior School offers additional scholarships through portfolio competition to elementary, middle and high school students. Scholarship awards are for one weekly class beginning with the fall semester in September. Classes are offered after school, Monday through Thursday; Saturday morning and afternoon; and Sunday afternoon. Teen classes meet for two hours; all other age groups meet for one hour and thirty minutes. Scholarship students may pick the class in their age group that best fits their schedules.
Scholarships for the 2016–17 School Year
• Applicants may submit portfolios on Friday, March 4, 2016, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the Glassell Junior School, 5100 Montrose Boulevard. (The Junior School is about a block north of the MFAH, which is located at the intersection of Montrose and Bissonnet.)
• Portfolios must include 8 to 10 pieces of two-dimensional original work in a variety of media. Students should enter only their best and most recent work, completed in the previous 18 months. Portfolios consisting solely of drawings copied from photos, or of superhero and/or anime images, are discouraged.
• Submit only unframed pieces. Portfolios containing framed work will not be accepted or considered. Do not submit three-dimensional work, including ceramics and sculpture. Good-quality photographs against a contrasting background are acceptable.
• Ensure that portfolios are constructed of a sturdy material. We suggest two pieces of poster board, taped on three sides to form a large envelope. The Junior School is not able to supply materials for constructing portfolios. Poster board can be purchased inexpensively at drugstores and art supply stores.
• Label portfolios with the information form (below) before delivery. Forms must include phone number with area code and address with zip code. Portfolios that do not have this information will not be considered. If you are a current Junior School student, check with your instructor for additional requirements.
• Winners are notified by mail by Thursday, April 28, 2016. Only winners are notified. Please do not call the school office for names of winners. Portfolios must be picked up at the school on Friday, April 8, 2016, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. The school is not responsible for portfolios left after this date. For additional assistance, e-mail Pam Perez at email@example.com or call the Junior School office at 713.639.7700.