Located in the lower level of the Caroline Wiess Law Building, the Kinder Foundation Education Center (KFEC) is your go-to source for information on the museum's collections. As the MFAH Education Department’s hub for all interpretive resources and materials, the KFEC serves as a support center for visitors, features exhibition space for student art, and offers resources in a variety of formats.
The KFEC is open anytime the museum is open. All materials may be borrowed for FREE!
Resources available to families include:
- MFAH Family Packs
- A Book and a Look
- Family Programs Brochure
- What Should We Look at Next? Family Cell-Phone Guide
► MFAH Family Packs
Family Packs are filled with hands-on activities, looking games, and books. Check them out on your next visit to discover how you can create an engaging, creative, and interactive museum experience for everyone in your family.
• Buildings and Beyond Explore your inner architect with this Family Pack. Use the laminated guide that’s designed like a blueprint to guide your visit throughout the museum. Recommended ages: 4+
• People and Personalities Meet a variety of people featured in paintings and sculptures at the museum using the family guide in the Family Pack to guide your visit. Recommended ages: 4+
• Let’s Play! Gallery Games with Mwamba and Naki This purple pack is filled with puzzles, sketching activities, and looking games that will help everyone have fun while learning about art from all over the world. Use the Welcome Guide to choose which games to play. Recommended ages: 4+
• Sketch It Out Check out materials and tips for sketching works of art in the galleries. Use the laminated Welcome Card to begin. Recommended ages: 4+
• Put It Together Explore puzzles of different works of art that you can put together while sitting in the galleries. Use the laminated Welcome Card to begin. Recommended ages: 4+
• Be an Art Detective Case activity sheets give families a chance to investigate works of art throughout the museum. Use the laminated Welcome Card to begin. Recommended ages: 4+
• Five Paintings to See with Your Little One Designed just for the younger child, with an emphasis on colors and shapes. Begin with the Welcome Card, which has information about the museum, pack activities, and “Museum Manners” to review before exploring the galleries. Recommended ages: 2+
• Animal Adventures with Art This pack, filled with hands-on activities, looking games, a book, and an MP3 player, is designed especially for the younger child, with an emphasis on exploring works of art from around the world. Recommended ages: 2+
► A Book and A Look
With this storybook checkout program, you can choose a book to read together in the galleries, and then "read" a work of art with the help of looking activities. Take a colorful MFAH Families yoga mat with you for comfy seating! Choose from 19 book-art pairings, including several Spanish-language selections. Recommended ages: 3+
► Family Programs Brochure
Families can create an active and fun-filled visit in the galleries using this seasonal publication, which contains looking, drawing, and writing activities.
► Family Cell-Phone Guide
What Should We Look at Next? Pick up this gallery guide that leads you to eight stops designed especially for kids and families. It’s easy! Just call the phone number on the artwork's label, and listen to learn and discover together.
KFEC is generously funded by the Kinder Foundation.