Welcome! The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, is the place to be this summer, with activities for all ages—adults and kids alike. You'll find wonderful opportunities to connect with and explore the world of art through gallery programs, guided tours, art-making, films, and more. The MFAH is especially lively on Thursdays, when general admission is free and the Museum is open late.
See & Do Something New Every Day!
In addition to the ideas below, check the online calendar often for a look at all the possibilities.
Explore the Galleries
Lose yourself in the Museum's art collections, and explore the variety of special exhibitions, including:
• Soto: The Houston Penetrable On view through September 1
• Alexander Archipenko: The Berlin Drawings On view through August 17
• Charles Marville: Photographer of Paris On view through September 14
• Houghton Hall: Portrait of an English Country House On view through September 21
Explore everything the Museum has to offer with these programs and activities for families—all free with admission! Check the calendar for more information.
Art Improv at the MFAH First Sunday of the month, 1–4 p.m.
Sunday Family Zone and Studio at the MFAH Sundays, 1–4 p.m.
Summer Art Explorers at the MFAH Selected Thursdays in June and July, 11 a.m.–2 p.m.
Little Art Adventures at the MFAH Last Friday of every month, 10:30–11:30 a.m. Recommended for ages 3–5. Space is limited, so registration is encouraged.
- Detective Days at Bayou Bend Tuesday–Saturday, 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Sundays, 1–4 p.m. Recommended for ages 6–12.
Let's Go to the Movies
See a movie on the big screen! The MFAH presents the best in cinema year-round, and the Museum's Brown Auditorium Theater is the perfect place to beat the summer heat.
► See the schedule & get tickets.
Take a Break
Fuel your Museum outing at Cafe Express. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the café is the perfect place to enjoy freshly prepared food in an artistic setting.
On weekdays, present your lunch receipt from Cafe Express or a participating food truck at any Museum admissions desk and receive free same-day general admission on weekdays from 12 noon to 2 p.m. Enter the Museum during those hours, and stay as long as you wish, until closing time.
Sign Up for One-Week Art Classes
Have a fun and creative summer! The Glassell Junior School offers weeklong classes for ages 3 to 18. Choose from topics such as drawing, painting, sculpture, ceramics, architecture, animation, and photography. Registration is open throughout the summer semester. For more information, call 713.639.7700.
Explore Bayou Bend
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens, the MFAH house museum for American decorative arts, is set amidst 14 acres of beautiful gardens in the historic River Oaks neighborhood.
- Choose from a variety of tours and programs, many designed especially for children.
- Be sure to stop in at the Kilroy Visitor and Education Center to make the most of your visit.
- Local historians share their knowledge in the Talk + Tour series. Speakers use collection objects as a window into historians’ thought processes and perspectives on the past, and a tour of the collection follows. Selected Wednesdays in July and August.
► For more about Bayou Bend, visit mfah.org/bayoubend or call 713.639.7750.
Rienzi, the MFAH house museum for European decorative arts, sits on four acres of wooded gardens in River Oaks. In addition to tours and other special events, in June and July Rienzi offers Storytime Tours for children as well as art workshops for the whole family.
► For more about Rienzi, visit mfah.org/rienzi or call 713.639.7800. Rienzi is closed in August.
Check It Out! More for Families
Make your visit a great experience for the entire family.
Visiting the MFAH on Thursday?
► Read up on some handy tips!
Looking for fun gallery activities?
► Visit the Kinder Foundation Education Center to discover the possibilities.
Interested in more family programs?
► Visit the online calendar for year-round activities.
Questions? Feel free to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.