Docent-guided visits allow students to form meaningful connections with works of art through close looking and interactive gallery experiences. Led by trained volunteers, these tours encourage critical and creative thinking while addressing learning styles.
A docent-guided visit includes four to six works of art. Guided tours make cross-curricular connections while developing skills for looking at, describing art, thinking deeply and making connections to works of art. Students use inquiry, critical thinking skills, and close looking to explore the meaning of art in different cultures. All guided visits are aligned with Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills.
- Available September 16, 2014–May 22, 2015
- Tuesday–Friday at 10 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 12 noon, 12:30 p.m., 1 p.m.
- Guided visits last 60–90 minutes; groups may also schedule self-guided time in addition to the guided portion of their visit.
- Guided visits are offered in English. If needed, please bring teachers or parents that can assist with translation for bilingual or ESL students.
- Minimum of 10 students; specific tour topics have a maximum number of students per tour.
Four-Step Booking Process
Enjoy your visit! Please be aware that space is limited, and openings are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Make your request at least two weeks in advance for self-guided tours, and four weeks in advance for docent-guided tours.
1) Check your district’s testing dates, holidays, and bus availability before contacting the MFAH. Prepare at least three date and time options in the event that your first and second choices are unavailable.
2) Submit your request by completing the online school group tour request form. You may only request one tour option at a time. If there are additional tours you would like to schedule, please fill out this form again.
Attn: Docent and Tours Programs
Education Department, MFAH
P.O. Box 6826
Houston, TX 77265
3) You will receive an e-mail confirmation within five to 10 business days of the receipt of your submission. The confirmation will include tour logistic materials to prepare you for your visit. If none of your requested dates are available, you will be contacted by e-mail or phone.
4) After you receive your confirmation, you may choose to make lunch reservations for your student group in the Sculpture Garden or Cafe Express. To reserve the Sculpture Garden, call 713.639.7324 and leave your school’s name, tour date, and requested lunch time. To reserve lunches at Cafe Express, call 713.639.7370.Top
Tour Descriptions & FAQs
Getting the Most Out of Your Museum Visit
Preparing your students for their Museum visit, being active in designing the visit, and reflecting back on the visit in the classroom maximize the experience for students' learning.
Practice Looking at Art
How to Prepare for your Visit
Docent & Guided Tour Program Materials
Resources for Self-Guided School Tours
Self-Guided Visit Survey
Docent-Guided Visit Survey
The MFAH School Tour program receives generous funding from ExxonMobil.
Additional support is provided by the Junior League of Houston, Inc.
All Learning and Interpretation programs at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, receive endowment income from funds provided by the Louise Jarrett Moran Bequest; Caroline Wiess Law; the William Randolph Hearst Foundation; The National Endowment for the Humanities; the Fondren Foundation; BMC Software, Inc.; the Wallace Foundation; the Neal Myers and Ken Black Children’s Art Fund; the Favrot Fund; and Gifts in honor of Beth Schneider.Top