We offer a multitude of learning opportunities throughout the year to help K–12 educators integrate the arts into their classrooms for successful learning. Most workshops are approved by the Texas Association for the Gifted and Talented.
For more information, contact 713.639.7590 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015–16 Programs for Educators
Save the dates and stay tuned for registration info!
- Thursday, September 24, 2015 | Hearst Foundation Educator Preview
- Saturday, October 3, 2015 | Museum Educator Open House
- Saturday, October 10, 2015 | Master Classes for Educators
- Saturday, October 17, 2015 | Learning Through Art at the MFAH K–12 Educator Seminar
- Saturday, November 7, 2015 | CANCELED | Learning Through Art at the MFAH K–12 Educator Seminar
- Saturday, December 5, 2015 | SOLD OUT | Free Learning Through Art at the MFAH Workshop
- Saturday, December 12, 2015 | Master Classes for Educators
- Saturday, January 9, 2016 | Master Classes for Educators
- Thursday, January 28, 2016 | Hearst Foundation Educator Preview
- Saturday, February 6, 2016 | Master Classes for Educators
- Saturday, February 13, 2016 | Learning Through Art at the MFAH K–8 Educator Seminar
- Saturday, April 2, 2016 | Learning Through Art at the MFAH K–8 Educator Seminar
- Saturday, April 30, 2016 | Master Classes for Educators
- Tuesday–Thursday, June 7–9, 2016 | Learning Through Art K–5 Summer Institute
- July 12, 13, 15, 2016 | Learning Through Art 6–12 Summer Institute
- Tuesday–Wednesday, July 26–27, 2016 | Summer Mini-Conference for Teachers
- Monday–Friday, August 1–5, 2016 | Special Topics in Art Education
LTA/MFAH Workshops for Teachers
Learning Through Art at the MFAH (LTA/MFAH) connects the Museum's collections of world art into classroom curriculum for art, language arts, math, science, and social studies. LTA/MFAH bridges disciplines and curriculums to enable students to explore key concepts in the real world context of the art museum while teaching literacy and writing skills, math, science, and social studies. Use the Museum’s elementary and middle school curriculum to integrate higher level cognitive skills, such as observing and organizing information, making predictions, and communicating ideas and thoughts with art inquiry methods to ultimately promote the students’ development of 21st-century skills that are needed to succeed in the world.
Through discussions on works of art from the MFAH collections and hands-on art projects using everyday materials, LTA/MFAH teacher training introduces TEKS and STAAR-aligned lessons that use the visual arts to teach students how to think critically and creatively as well as encourage self-confident, self-motivated, and self-disciplined learners.
► List of LTA/MFAH Workshops
Workshops can be customized to address specific content areas, STAAR, etc. To discuss your needs, contact email@example.com or 713.639.7588. All "Learning Through Art" workshops are G/T approved.
Hearst Foundation Educator Previews
September 24, 2015 & January 28, 2016
These preview evenings feature lectures from curators and scholars, tours of exhibitions, interactive workshops, and discussions designed for pre-K–16 teachers, curriculum specialists, and administrators. Explore upcoming exhibitions, collection areas, and opportunities at the Museum for educators.
Provides three hours of SBEC-approved, continuing-education credit hours and two G/T credit hours.
Museum Educators Open House
Saturday, October 3, 2015
9 a.m.–2 p.m.
At this annual event, institutions throughout the Houston Museum District offer information and presentations about opportunities for teachers, student teachers, homeschool educators, and administrators. Free to educators who register; three hours of continuing education credit available.
Registered educators receive free general admission to host museums before 2 p.m. and to all participating museums after 2 p.m. The Houston Museum District has complete details and registration information. Preregistration is highly recommended.
Questions about the MFAH presentations? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Master Classes for Educators
October 10, 2015
January 9, February 6 & April 30, 2016
Stimulate, challenge, and take your work to a new level in this studio workshop just for teachers. Hands-on activities, new approaches, and materials kick-start your own creativity.
Summer Mini-Conference for Teachers
Save the Dates!
Tuesday & Wednesday, July 26 & 27, 2016
At this annual event, teachers attend sessions presented by artists and art educators on art making, art history, and art education. Each session is based on works from the MFAH art collections and includes a studio component. For information, call 713.639.7835.
The Learning Through Art program at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, receives generous funding from the Kinder Foundation; Mercantil Commercebank; and NORDSTROM.
The MFAH Educator Previews and Master Classes for Educators are endowed by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation.
All Learning and Interpretation programs at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, receive endowment income from funds provided by the Louise Jarrett Moran Bequest; Caroline Wiess Law; the William Randolph Hearst Foundation; The National Endowment for the Humanities; the Fondren Foundation; BMC Software, Inc.; the Wallace Foundation; the Neal Myers and Ken Black Children’s Art Fund; the Favrot Fund; and Gifts in honor of Beth Schneider.