- Family Fun at the Museum
- Spring Break at Bayou Bend
- Spring Activities at Rienzi
- Visit the Galleries
- Visiting for Free
During Spring Break, March 14–18, 2016, the Museum offers a variety of activities, tours, and creative programs for all ages! Learn more about our hours and admissions.
► The Museum, Bayou Bend, and Rienzi are open all week, including Monday and Tuesday, when some locations are usually closed. Cullen Sculpture Garden is open every day, year-round.
Family Fun at the Museum
The MFAH is a hub of Spring Break fun, with lots of ways for families to explore the Museum together. In addition to the programs below, see the calendar for a day-by-day list.
Activities and programs free with Museum admission:
► Family Resources
Stop by the KFEC (Kinder Foundation Education Center) for helpful tips from the friendly staff on making the most of your visit. For fun in the galleries, borrow one of the many different Family Packs; and ask about the storybook checkout program.
► Start Your Engines: Spring Break at the Museum
March 14, 15, 17 & 18, 11 a.m.–4 p.m.
► Free Family Flick: The Love Bug
Friday, March 18, 1 p.m.
► Sunday Family Zone + Studio “Sleek and Stylish: Exploring Art Deco Automobiles”
Sunday, March 20, 1 p.m.–4 p.m.
Spring Break at Bayou Bend
Just a few minutes away from the Museum campus in the heart of the historic River Oaks neighborhood, Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens, the MFAH house museum for American decorative arts and paintings, offers a wide range of child-friendly activities in the gardens, the mansions, and the Lora Jean Kilroy Visitor Center. Ages 18 & younger receive free admission during Spring Break!
These activities and programs are free with admission, Monday–Friday, March 14–18:
► Focus on the Flowers A bingo-style self-guided activity sheet gives children a game to play as they look at and appreciate the blooming flowers. 10 a.m–4 p.m. Recommended for ages 6 to 12.
• Self-Guided Garden Tours Discover the blooming flowers and natural beauty of Bayou Bend during springtime. 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Recommended for all ages.
• Spring Story Zone Stop by the library at the Kilroy Visitor Center and select a book that focuses on springtime. 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Recommended for ages 3 and up.
• Nature Inside & Out This Dectective Days scavenger hunt reveals ways in which nature can influence art and design. 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Recommended for ages 6 to 12.
• Open House Tours The mansion is open every day for tours. 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Recommended for all ages.
• Arts & Crafts Take part in family art activities in the gardens inspired by the flowers at Bayou Bend. 11 a.m.–1 p.m. Recommended for ages 3 and up.
• Colonial Campsite Have some old-fashioned fun in the gardens with Bayou Bend’s collection of reproduction toys, like jump rope, Jacob’s ladder, and cat’s cradle—or try out colonial chores, including laundry and food preparation. 1–4 p.m. Recommended for ages 3 to 8.
Spring Break at Bayou Bend is generously underwritten by William J. Hill.Top
Spring Activities at Rienzi
Enjoy family-friendly fun at Rienzi, the MFAH house museum for European decorative arts and paintings. Located in River Oaks near Bayou Bend, Rienzi offers activities perfect for both adults and kids. Children 12 & younger receive free admission.
• Storytime Tours
Monday–Friday, March 14–18, 10–11 a.m.
• Sketching in the Galleries
Wednesday, March 16, 1:30–4:30 p.m.
• Sunday Garden Photography
Sunday, March 20, 1–5 p.m.
Visit the Galleries
Visit special exhibitions and our permanent galleries to see art from all around the world!
Exhibitions on view
• Sculpted in Steel: Art Deco Automobiles and Motorcycles, 1929–1940
• Statements: African American Art from the Museum’s Collection
• Vera Lutter: Inverted Worlds
• Arts of Islamic Lands: Selections from The al-Sabah Collection, Kuwait
• Eye on Houston: High School Documentary Photography
► Enhance your gallery experience! Drop in to a docent-led gallery tour, always free with admission. See the calendar for topics and times.Top
Visiting for Free
Kids 12 & younger always get in free to the MFAH and Rienzi! Ages 18 & younger are admitted to Bayou Bend for free during Spring Break.
Admission is always free to Cullen Sculpture Garden, open every day from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
On Thursdays, museum general admission is free for everyone, courtesy of Shell. Plus, the Museum is open late, until 9 p.m. See more information about hours and admissions.Top