The Core Program attracts a diverse array of applicants from across the United States and abroad. Artists and critical writers who seek the stimulation and challenges of an intellectual framework and an intensive studio environment are invited to apply for admission to the Core Residency Program.
Applications for admission are accepted once per year. Applications and portfolios are reviewed and evaluated by a jury of professional artists, art historians, critics, and curators based on the quality of their work and demonstration of a commitment to critical dialogue, which is integral to participation within the peer group.
The next application deadline is April 1, 2013.
Successful applicants will begin the program in September 2013. Notification letters will be e-mailed on or before May 31, 2013. Download application flyer.
The application for 2013-2014 will be available February 1, 2013. The application, portfolios and supporting materials, are all submitted online through SlideRoom. The Core program does not retain application materials from previous years, including letters of recommendation.
All application materials are due by April 1, 2013. Applications or letters of recommendation submitted after midnight on April 1 will not be considered by the jury.
1. Completed online application.
Go to SlideRoom, create a login ID and select Core Program 2013. If you have already used SlideRoom in a previous year or for another institution, you may use your existing login ID.
You may log in and out as many times as you need to complete the application. Please do not submit it until you have completed all sections, uploaded all portfolio items, and paid the application fee. You can submit before all recommenders have uploaded their reference letters, and you can edit their information after you submit, so don't let that deter you from submitting early.
2. Application fee of $10 USD, paid online by credit or debit card.
3. Statement of intent: 800-word limit discussing your work and artistic goals in a personal as well as critical context. Similar to an artist statement, but should also include the reason(s) you want to participate in the Core Program, and what you hope to gain from the residency.
4. CV: 2 pages maximum uploaded as a PDF.
5. Three letters of recommendation. In order for recommenders to submit their letters through SlideRoom, you must provide their contact information under the Recommender section of the application. An email from SlideRoom with instructions for uploading a letter will be sent to each recommender you register. Please note: letters of recommendation are due on March 15 but will be accepted without penalty if they are uploaded by midnight on April 1. We strongly recommend commencement of the application process and submission of reference requests no later than March 1 in order to avoid last-minute uploading. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that recommenders receive uploading instructions and submit their letters on time.
In the event that a recommender does not receive an e-mail with uploading instructions, the applicant should log in to Slideroom and resend the reference request. Applicants or recommenders who have questions or encounter problems should send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Portfolio representing a variety of work from the past two years. Portfolio requirements and submission formats vary for visual artists and critics, as listed below.
Visual Artists Portfolio: 1-10 items. Images, video clips, or audio clips of work completed during the last two years. Applicants may submit up to 10 images (this includes details). Image files should be saved as jpg, png, or tif; the size of each file should not exceed 5MB. Files larger than 1280 x 1280 pixels @ 72 dpi cannot be displayed by Slideroom. Video files should be saved as flv, mov, m4v, mp4, or wmv; the size of each file should not exceed 60MB. Audio files should be saved as mp3; the size of each file should not exceed 30MB. The combined duration of video and/or audio submissions should not exceed 20 minutes per applicant.
Applicants can upload files or link to media. We accept links from YouTube, Vimeo, and SoundCloud. Uploading files to Slideroom can slow down the review process because of the large number of applications under review. We highly recommend linking to the external sites listed above. All media will be reviewed, but linking is strongly encouraged in order to ensure that equal time is given to all applicants.
Critical Studies Portfolio: Two samples of art-historical or critical writing, submitted as PDF; the size of each file should not exceed 10MB. Writing samples can be combined or submitted separately.
Please be succint in the description of your media.
We cannot respond to e-mail or telephone inquiries regarding the status of applications.