Skip to Content
 
The Rienzi Collection

Rienzi is the MFAH house museum for European decorative arts. Originally the home of arts patrons Carroll Sterling Masterson and Harris Masterson III, Rienzi comprises a remarkable art collection, house, and gardens. For more than 40 years, the Mastersons collected decorative arts and paintings made from the 17th to mid-19th century. The collection and residence were used and enjoyed by the owners, their children, grandchildren, and friends until 1997, when Rienzi was given to the MFAH.

 
J. T. MITCHELL
Elizabeth Mary and Augustus William Hillary
Watercolor on ivory, 9k rose gold, paper, and glass
1803
FRIEDRICH KETTWYCK, JOCHIM TIMME
Wall Sconce (one of a pair)
Silver
c. 1670
FLIGHT (WORCESTER PORCELAIN)
Platter
Soft-paste porcelain
c. 1790
ANDREW PLIMER
Portrait of a Woman
Watercolor on ivory, rose gold, hair, embossed metallic foil, and glass
c. 1785
, Decorated by the atelier of James Giles, 1718–1780
Plate
Soft-paste porcelain
c. 1770
Pair of Torchères
Limewood and gilding
c. 1760
GEORGE ROMNEY
Elizabeth, Lady Blunt
Oil on canvas
c. 1764
,
Sauceboat
Soft-paste porcealin
1751–52
Dry Mustard Pot
Soft-paste porcelain
c. 1758
ADAM BUCK
Portrait of a Woman
Watercolor on ivory, gilt, and glass
1805