There are many ways to enjoy your Museum for FREE! Browse the list below for a few ideas.
Thursdays: Always FREE, Courtesy of Shell
It's simple. If it's a Thursday, general admission to the MFAH is completely FREE, to everyone, courtesy of Shell. Plus, the Museum is open late on Thursdays (until 9 p.m.), so bring the entire posse for free after work.
Don't forget that there are always special offerings like gallery talks and tours offered on Thursdays that are included in your visit, also free. Check the online calendar to see what's happening next.
Kids Get in FREE When . . .
1) They are 12 years old or younger.
2) Visiting on a Saturday or Sunday. Ages 18 and younger simply show their library card from any public library in Texas. (The cardholder receives the free general admission.)
3) Using the voucher they received after their school trip to the MFAH. (Each student who visits the Museum on a school tour is given a voucher to return with FREE admission for themselves—and their family!)
Lunch + Look = FREE Weekday Admission, 12 noon to 2 p.m.
Between the varied cuisine offered by daily food trucks and the delectable bites found at Cafe Express, the Museum is the perfect FREE lunch destination.
Pick up a Lunch + Look loyalty card, available at the food trucks and Cafe Express. When you present the card—along with your lunch receipt—at any admissions desk, you receive free same-day general admission on weekdays from 12 noon to 2 p.m.* Enter the Museum during those hours, and stay as long as you wish, until closing time.
Cardholders receive a stamp for each visit. When you collect 10 stamps, you are eligible for a half-price individual or dual MFAH membership, which means would enable you to get in free any time you visit!
*Free admission does not apply to ticketed events or exhibitions.
The Cullen Sculpture Garden: Always FREE
The Lillie and Hugh Roy Cullen Sculpture Garden is the perfect sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of Houston. This tranquil oasis of art and nature is open every day of the year, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Admission is always free to all.
Click here to learn about the garden, created by sculptor Isamu Noguchi.
FREE Fun at Bayou Bend
An amazing afternoon of free fun awaits at Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens! On the third Sunday of the month (September to May), Bayou Bend Family Days feature crafts, music, games, giveaways, and more for kids and adults. Families are also welcome to enjoy guided tours of select rooms of the house.
FREE Activities at Rienzi
Sunday Family Days
November 17, 2013 | March 16, 2014
Thursday Gallery Talks
September–May, third Thursday
Storytime Tours | Family Art Workshops
June & July
Wait! There's More
One More Way to Get FREE Admission . . .
Did you know that Bank of America cardholders are allowed one free general admission to the MFAH as part of the Museums on Us customer benefit program, applicable to the first Saturday and Sunday of each month? Learn more.
Some Free Add-ons
Whether you paid for admission or not, you'll find activities at the MFAH that don't cost extra. Before you visit, see what's going on that day so you can take full advantage of your time on the Museum campus.
- Explore the Museum on gallery talks & tours
- Participate in family activities such as storytime, art projects, tours, films & more
- Drop by for the Wi-Fi and other resources at the Kinder Foundation Education Center
- Read & research in the libraries
- Join in First Thursday Sketching in the galleries
- View exhibitions at the Glassell School of Art (Studio School and Junior School)